Mike and Kerry, two wheelchair racing participants, share their 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon stories.
Kerry is from San Lorenzo, California. She is a runDisney veteran who completed the “Dopey Challenge” using a push rim wheelchair. That’s 5K, 10K, Half- and Full Marathons in one weekend!
Mike is from Ontario, Canada. He is new to runDisney and completed the 5K and 10K races using a push rim wheelchair.
Both Mike and Kerry discuss these aspects of wheelchair racing at Disney events:
- Planning for a runDisney trip
- Availability (or lack thereof) of pre-race information for wheelchair racing participants for the WDW Marathon Weekend
- Racing wheelchair equipment
- Nutrition and hydration during wheelchair
- Weather and race clothing considerations
- Race day transportation for wheelchair racing participants
- The atmosphere of support and encouragement for wheelchair participants at Disney racing events
For information on Disney marathons and running events, visit the official website, runDisney.
You can connect with Mike Greer on Facebook and Twitter. He is a contributing writer at wheelchairtraveling.com. You can hear more from Mike in this past episode, Cruising with OI and a Wheelchair on the Disney Cruise Line.
You can also connect with Kerry, Mike and a bunch of enthusiastic Disney fans with a variety of special needs on Facebook in our Private Discussion Group. Simply leave a comment on our page and I will contact you!
Thanks for listening,